Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Second Coming

Today I read Doctrine and Covenants section 133, a section that was given a lot earlier than the other sections in the latter half of the Doctrine and Covenants. This section was given back in 1831. It mostly consists of prophecies concerning the Second Coming of the Lord.

Most of the prophecies in this section should be familiar to most Latter-day Saints and non-LDS alike. The sun, moon and stars disappearing, the graves opening up and the dead appearing to many people. It is the same thing as what happened when Christ was Crucified. I've often thought about that prophecy where the Saints who were dead will rise up out of the graves and appear to many. Now, I have wanted to meet several men and women from history and just talk to them, but I think if they appeared to me before I died I'd be a little freaked out. I also think of what would need to happen for this to miracle to occur. Let's say for example when the Second Coming happens President Hinkley rose from the grave to appear to people. For that to happen, the concrete covering his casket would have to break, 6 cubic feet of dirt would have to be removed not to mention his body would have to be resurrected. It's quite the undertaking for those who have died to appear unto the living if we are to take the graves opening up part literally.

I've often wondered at the prophecies that state that people will be confused about when Christ will return. They say that there will be people that say Christ is in the desert and it will confuse and confound people. This is weird to me because according to this and all the prophecies when Christ returns it will be a global thing. There will be no misunderstanding that Christ is back. Now I understand that Christ will actually come back several times before this big global come back happens, but all those other appearances are for a select few and even if you hear of it happening, you weren't invited and you need to just wait for the actual coming of the Lord that will be unmistakeable.

That's all I really have to say on the matter and if you wish to know more on the Second Coming, I was once told the best way to learn about it is to study the First Coming. Joseph Smith Matthew 24 is particularly good for studying on this subject. But really the best thing we can do is to live our lives the best we can and act as if the Second Coming were going to happen today. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment